1. PS3_Kiwi

PS3_Kiwi Well-Known Member Extraordinary Hunter

Blog Posts:
    New Zealand New Zealand
    I searched the site for anything to do with Blu-ray 4K Ultra HD discs, but couldn't find anything, so hope that nothing has been posted before. Apologies if it has.

The first Blu-ray 4K Ultra HD discs are now trickling onto the market. The UK has its first 12 titles, and the US has 26, with another 14 on the horizon. The next to arrive will be The Revenant on 19 April, closely followed by The 5th Wave on 3rd May, and Deadpool a week later.

I intend to embrace the new technology (which will most likely be the last of the spinning disc type), but not for possibly another two years when prices of players and OLED 4K TV's take a decent price drop. I will also have more of an idea if its going to be worth taking up the technology.

All 4k releases will also include Blu-ray 1080p and UV copies. 3D enthusiasts will be disappointed to hear that 4K discs will NOT include a 3D option, and none are planned for the future. Reports say that LG and Samsung will not be supporting the 3D technology in their future release TV's.

I would like to think that 4K will be adopted by the masses, but, realistically, it will more likely become a niche market for Home Theatre addicts like myself. Most people couldn't give a s**t about the quality of the movies that they watch....DVD is good enough for them!

Most 4k discs will include Dolby Atmos or DTS:X audio tracks, and the majority of the others will be in a 7.1 format of the studios choice.

If the studios agree to keep a uniform format, they just might take off. A good start is that there will be NO zoning or regional coding on these discs, so you can buy from anywhere in the world with the knowledge that you don't have to buy a second player for other countries discs. The only problem that may occur if you buy from a country with a different language, is that you may run into subtitle problems.

I know that its going to cost me a bloody fortune, but I'm a sucker for new technology, and it will be hard not to jump in as an early adopter like I have done many times before.

I like the new black 4K cases which all of the studios are supporting ATM, they will look very nice next to each other on my bookshelf.

I'm trying to keep a database on my computer of all the 4K releases. I have not separated them for each country, as I know that I can buy them from anywhere and they will work. All releases will arrive in your country sooner or later.

This link to a CNET 4K article explains everything that you need to know about 4K receivers and the different workarounds:-
    http://www.cnet.com/news/do-i-need-a-new-av-receiver-to-go-with-my-4k-tv/

This link to a CNET HDCP 2.2 article, explains that your present TV may not be able to play true 4K video.
    http://www.cnet.com/news/hdcp-2-2-what-you-need-to-know/

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 16, 2016
  2. assassin

assassin Well-Known Member Seasoned Hunter

Blog Posts:
    United States United States
    SteelBooks:
    FuturePaks:
    Other Metals:
    I saw Fantastic 4 at my local Best Buy the other day. The next time I'm there, I'll pop a picture of the display they have and post it. :D

3. jjcool

jjcool Well-Known Member Seasoned Hunter

Blog Posts:
    Ehhh. I don't see myself upgrading any time soon. Obviously when my current components die, I will replace them with whatever technology is current, most likely 4K. I don't know about anyone else, but I purchase way less titles now than I did during the hey day of DVD. That translates to a lot less blue rays than dvds. Don't get me wrong, if a title I want is available on blue ray, I will get blue ray 100 % of the time, but it seems like a lot of stuff isn't coming out on blue ray. This seems to follow the national trends. DVD is still king, and seems to outsell blue ray every week at about a 2 to 1 ratio. The lack of 3d in 4K is no big loss to me. I actually hope 3d would go away completely, as it seems to be doing. I find it to be a waste of money for what amounts to a cheap gimmick that doesn't look good at all. I can't understand why some people go so nuts for it.

4. PS3_Kiwi

Blog Posts:
    New Zealand New Zealand
    ^^^I was a keen 3D collector for some time. After a while though, I found that I would watch some of the movie in 3D, then switch to 2D. Now I rarely watch 3D.

The best 2D releases sometimes contain scenes that give the illusion of 3D.

4K will have a tough time competing against the improving streaming options. Therefore, as I said in my previous post, it will probably become a niche market. If it is done well however, we enthusiasts could enjoy some superb Home Theatre experiences as long as we have the best hardware (4K Ultra HD OLED TV, 4k Blu-ray player, 4K Receiver, minimum 7.1 surround).

I never buy DVD now. Sometimes I may buy a combo Blu-ray/DVD, but usually give the DVD to friends.

5. Gemini-Phoenix

Gemini-Phoenix Hostis Humani Generis Staff Member Extraordinary Hunter

Blog Posts:
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    SteelBooks:
    FuturePaks:
    Other Metals:
    DigiBooks:
    We did have a 4K discussion which I think was started by Navelludd or Tutter, but that was mainly about 4K screens and pre-empting 4K Blu-Rays

I have to say that the launch line-up across the board is quite weak, with Sony releasing some questionable titles.

I'll probably pick-up a few choice titles down the line, but no way will I go in deep like I have with regular Blu-Ray, and I don't see me swapping my 55" LCD for a 4K screen any time soon either

6. jjcool

Blog Posts:
    I tried to like 3d, I really did. I went to quite a few "3d" movies in theaters. I have yet to see any actual benefit to it. You have to wear those stupid glasses, and the effect was cheap looking and not what it should have been.

As to the 4K question. I definitely dont see myself converting over anytime soon. My purchasing has slowed way, way down since I "switched" to blu ray. I know that most of the 4k titles, which are pretty crappy at the moment, will also include a bluray, but I find a dvd infinitely more useful than a 4k disc.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2016
  7. Gemini-Phoenix

Gemini-Phoenix Hostis Humani Generis Staff Member Extraordinary Hunter

Blog Posts:
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    SteelBooks:
    FuturePaks:
    Other Metals:
    DigiBooks:
    Where is the line going to be drawn? Most editions these days will include either BR+Dvd, BR3D+BR, or BR3D+BR+Dvd. Are we going to start seeing 4K+BR3D+BR releases?

Personally if you are buying a film in 4K it should be assumed that you already own a 2D or 3D version of it, so a 4K release shouldn't be anything other than a 4K disc. I do feel that 4K won't become a replacement for Blu-Ray though, and will exist in a space where Super Audio CD's and High-Fidelity Mini-Disc Walkmans lingered - available for aficionados, but not quite breaking into mainstream use.

Considering that most of the population still refuses to embrace Blu-Ray as the dominant format, and a lot of studios reluctant to release a lot of their titles on the Blu-Ray format, I think 4K won't become popular until at least 2020. I could be wrong, but I would think that most people are moving more towards digital streaming of lower quality content, and most will not see a slight upgrade in picture quality as a good enough reason to upgrade their collections for a thrid or fourth time.

The one thing that will really get my goat is if studios suddenly decide to release titles only as a 4K release that they couldn't be bothered to release as a standard Blu-Ray! I can deal with new films being released only as 3D releases or only as a 4K release, but not neglected catalogue releases that we have been begging to have a Blu-Ray release. Ie, True Lies, The Abyss etc...

8. Eldorado

Eldorado Moderator Staff Member Legendary Hunter

Blog Posts:
    SteelBooks:
    FuturePaks:
    Other Metals:
    DigiBooks:
    Back to Dolby Atmos, would it be worth it to do the setup at home?

9. PS3_Kiwi

Blog Posts:
    New Zealand New Zealand
    ^^^ Hi Mate,

I have a question to your question - How much do you personally want it?. Its truly up to the individual. I would like to have it, but probably wont be investing in down firing ceiling speakers (my wife would draw the line at that).

There are various options including Dolby Atmos up firing speakers which bounce the sound off the ceiling and can be placed on top of your existing speakers. This may be acceptable to my wife.

If you are not worried about Dolby Atmos sound, but would like true 4K picture quality from your HDCP 2.2 enabled 4K TV, you can use your present receiver. Some of the new 4k Blu-ray players will have two HDMI outputs. One for audio/video to connect to your 4k TV, and one for audio only to connect to your receiver. This will still allow you to enjoy up to DTS-HD MA 7.1 and Dolby True HD 7.1 without upgrading to an "Atmos" receiver.

This link to a CNET 4K article explains everything that you need to know about 4K receivers and the different workarounds:-
    http://www.cnet.com/news/do-i-need-a-new-av-receiver-to-go-with-my-4k-tv/

This link to a CNET HDCP 2.2 article, explains that your present TV may not be able to play true 4K video.
    http://www.cnet.com/news/hdcp-2-2-what-you-need-to-know/

Last edited: Apr 16, 2016
  10. Eldorado

Blog Posts:
    SteelBooks:
    FuturePaks:
    Other Metals:
    DigiBooks:
    Just saw an Avengers short movie in 4D.

11. PS3_Kiwi

Blog Posts:
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Some reviews are appearing online, and this new format is really blowing people away with its superb picture quality, but you will need to make sure that you have the "right" TV to get the best out of it.

I am going to start collecting some 4K discs, but I will be reading lots of reviews before spending my cash. I am not going to double dip, only getting new titles. Because a Blu-ray Full HD copy is also included in the cases, I won't feel that I am throwing away my money.

Reviews of Panasonic' s high end DMP-UB900 Ultra Blu-ray Player are excellent. Blu-ray upscaling on that player is reportedly amazing.

I am waiting for price drops on players and TV's before I dive in to the fray, so it could be at least another 12 months if I can manage to wait that long ;)

Two titles that I am waiting for reviews for are:-

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Pics courtesy of Blu-ray.com

12. jjcool

Blog Posts:
    Put me firmly in the camp of not wanting to buy extra stuff that I have no intention of using. Right now that means 4K and 3d discs. They are useless to me. I shouldn't have to pay for them to get a blu ray or dvd that I want. As far as I'm concerned, blue ray and dvd are the norm right now. Those formats should be made available for every release that gets the HD and SD treatment. 3d and 4k are add ons. There shouldn't be any titles released only in 4k or 3d. Studios would have to be extremely stupid to do that, as that would SEVERELY limit the number of units they could move. In a perfect world for me, the 4k and 3d discs would be sold completely seperately from the reglar release at a premium price. I would like to see a single release that houses both Blue Ray and DVD releases in a single package, at dvd pricing. That's it.

Everything I hear about Atmos is that it is awesome. I have not heard it yet, as I don't have the equipment for it, but if I was looking at purchasing a new receiver I would definitely get one that could handle atmos.

13. PS3_Kiwi

Blog Posts:
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Just going back to 3D for a moment.

I actually dropped Gravity 3D into my player last night after wifey had gone to bed. Put on my headphones and watched it through until the early hours.

I must say, I enjoyed the 3D effect. I found myself ducking when the space ship was breaking up. I do prefer a good 2D version of a movie, but, because I haven't watched any 3D for some time, I actually had some fun watching this movie in 3D.

I think that watching 3D once a month or so, could make me enjoy it again.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2016
  14. PS3_Kiwi

Blog Posts:
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Been out for a look around my local appliance/electrical store. My intention was to get more info on this year's TV range and also find out a little more about the Dolby Atmos audio.

I got chatting with a salesman, who actually knew about everything I was talking about....and then some, which was quite refreshing. He took me over to the new Dolby Atmos setup in the store.
    There was a Samsung 85" LED display, a Pioneer Atmos receiver and a 5.1.2 Atmos speaker setup, and it sounded amazing. The in ceiling speakers were unobtrusive and were covered with grills which were hardly noticeable.

I would love to have a 5.1.2 setup in my Man Cave, but the room probably isn't the right shape. Its something for me to work on though.

So in answer to Eldo's question in a previous post....Yes, it is definitely worth it on what I witnessed today. I can only imagine what a 7.1.4 setup would sound like. The mind boggles.

15. jjcool

Blog Posts:
    Am I correct in assuming that "7.1.4" means 7 conventional speakers, 1 subwoofer, and 4 downfireing speakers?

16. PS3_Kiwi

Blog Posts:
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Yes

17. Eldorado

Blog Posts:
    SteelBooks:
    FuturePaks:
    Other Metals:
    DigiBooks:
    Nobody asked what the 4D movie was.

18. PS3_Kiwi

Blog Posts:
    New Zealand New Zealand
    What was the 4D movie?

19. Eldorado

Blog Posts:
    SteelBooks:
    FuturePaks:
    Other Metals:
    DigiBooks:
    They sprayed water on us on a sequence that had a robot spurting oil, the chairs had shakers in them, a little plastic whip hit your legs and something like me in the back when Iron Man hit something.

20. PS3_Kiwi

Blog Posts:
    New Zealand New Zealand
    I have attended two 4D movie theatre's. One in Australia and one in Singapore. Sure are a lot of fun