1. PS3_Kiwi

PS3_Kiwi Well-Known Member Extraordinary Hunter

Blog Posts:
    New Zealand New Zealand
    SteelBooks:
    FuturePaks:
    Other Metals:
    DigiBooks:
    I see that Zavvi have improved their SteelBook packaging again. I had no trouble with the rectangular cardboard boxes, but the new ones are a step up IMO. Well done to Zavvi.

On the other side of the coin, JB Hi Fi Australia and NZ, still ship Steels in light padded bags. I have had two so far that were absolutely crushed. Their customer service is very good, and both SteelBooks were replaced quickly, but they still ignore the call to ship in something a bit more protective.
    Luckily, JB opened a store in Christchurch late 2016, so I can normally go to the store and pick something off the shelves, but they don't always have stock in store, and that's when I have to order online.

I haven't ordered anything from the various Amazons lately, but the packaging seems to vary from country to country. Its pot luck really when ordering from Amazon.

assassin likes this.
  2. assassin

assassin Well-Known Member Seasoned Hunter

Blog Posts:
    United States United States
    SteelBooks:
    FuturePaks:
    Other Metals:
    Oh really? What did Zavvi change? I've honestly been so lucky all these years, and I've only ever had a single damaged SteelBook (Iron Man 3).

Amazon Germany tends to ship things pretty well from my experience. Amazon Italy/France/Spain have arrived damaged majority of the time for me. My packages seem to be always shipped inside of a thin dense stock paper envelope with zero padding and has the SteelBook(s) slide around inside and get damaged (especially the corners). It would be great if every company realized SteelBooks can be dented/damaged and shipped them in better packaging.

Even Best Buy online is a hit or miss it seems. I've had a Best Buy SteelBook arrive inside a box, a bubble mailer, and even one of those interesting carboard packaging pieces which are pressed together.

PS3_Kiwi likes this.
  3. PS3_Kiwi

Blog Posts:
    New Zealand New Zealand
    SteelBooks:
    FuturePaks:
    Other Metals:
    DigiBooks:
    Bit hard to explain the difference in Zavvi's new packaging. I'll try and post a pic when my next order (Thor: Ragnarok 4K) arrives.

assassin likes this.
  4. PS3_Kiwi

Blog Posts:
    New Zealand New Zealand
    SteelBooks:
    FuturePaks:
    Other Metals:
    DigiBooks:
    Got some SteelBooks from Amazon Italy last week. They were inside a decent cardboard mailer. Two of the SteelBooks inside were also in cardboard envelopes, the other was just thrown in there, with only its cellophane wrap for protection.

Needless to say that it was damaged. A dent on each side of the SteelBook back, directly opposite each other. It was a SteelBook that I was gonna add a 2-Disc insert to (Logan), so that I could add my 4K disc to the BD already in there.

Once I got the covers off of the insert, it was easy for me to get to the dents, and after a lot of rubbing, bending etc, I got the SteelBook looking pretty good. There are still two very small marks, but nothing to worry about. I'm not OCD when it comes to the odd small dent, so I'm happy with it now.

I know I could have asked for a replacement, but just couldn't be bothered going through all the hoops to finally get one.

There is a question to be asked here. Was the loose SteelBook actually shipped like that? It seems odd that they would put two in protective cardboard sleeves, and not all three. Or, have customs had a look inside it and left it loose?

Guess I'll never know.

assassin likes this.
  5. PS3_Kiwi

Blog Posts:
    New Zealand New Zealand
    SteelBooks:
    FuturePaks:
    Other Metals:
    DigiBooks:
    Another damaged SteelBook from Amazon UK (Valerian).

The packaging used by the Amazon outlets leave a lot to be desired. Just a warning for if you are gonna get anything from an Amazon store online.

assassin likes this.
  6. assassin

Blog Posts:
    SteelBooks:
    FuturePaks:
    Other Metals:
    That's disappointing @PS3_Kiwi. It really is a toss up when ordering online it seems, so I'll keep that in mind for my next Amazon.co.uk order. Hopefully they take care of you with a replacement for Valerian and everything ends up working out for you.

Speaking of Steebook packaging, I unfortunately received my second ever damaged Zavvi order this weekend. The first one was the Iron Man 3 SteelBook back in 2013. Outside of that (and now this current one) I've had no issues whatsoever, so I guess I've been super lucky all these years. I received my order in a bigger brown mailer that seemed too big for the SteelBook and apparently more prone to damage. I'm talking to them about a replacement, so here's hoping they take care of me like they did before.

It really puzzles me though, given how popular and mainstream SteelBooks are, that online retailers are not taking better steps to protect them during shipping. Given how annoying it is to go through the replacement process, coupled with situations like the SteelBook selling out, it just seems to me that retailers could take some simple steps to protect the products they are selling and ensure that they reach their customers in pristine condition. Wishful thinking I suppose. :rolleyes:

Last edited: Mar 26, 2018
    LWilko1982 and PS3_Kiwi like this.
  7. PS3_Kiwi

Blog Posts:
    New Zealand New Zealand
    SteelBooks:
    FuturePaks:
    Other Metals:
    DigiBooks:
    Sorry to hear about your damaged SteelBook assassin. Its a real pain.

I didn't ask for a replacement for my damaged Valerian SteelBook. Unless it is a total write off, I can usually satisfactorily repair them.

I have had no trouble with the Zavvi cardboard mailer. The old ones were pretty good, but the new upgraded ones are better.

If a large parcel was dropped on top of it, it would still be damaged, but I find them to be very good.

The new box/mailer is the same size as the original box, but now its a sort of envelope type box that fits the SteelBook, and there is an overhang at each end to prevent the corners getting damaged.

I guess we are unlucky to get damaged steels from Zavvi now. The last damaged SteelBook I received from Zavvi, was The Last Stand. It had obviously been damaged before shipping, which should never happen.

LWilko1982 and assassin like this.
  8. Gemini-Phoenix

Gemini-Phoenix Hostis Humani Generis Staff Member Legendary Hunter

Blog Posts:
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    SteelBooks:
    FuturePaks:
    Other Metals:
    DigiBooks:
    I haven't noticed a change in Zavvi's SteelBook packaging. Still same white boxes that has been standard for the last few years. Sometimes they will use the crappy brown wrap-around packaging that Amazon and HMV both use, but usually for when they have to expediate a delayed order via private courier.

Zoom's packaging on the other hand is dreadful! I haven't ordered from them since last summer, but it's everything you hate. Sometimes bubblewrap, sometimes non-padded cardboard wraps

9. PS3_Kiwi

Blog Posts:
    New Zealand New Zealand
    SteelBooks:
    FuturePaks:
    Other Metals:
    DigiBooks:
    The "new" Zavvi packaging may be for overseas customers. Who knows?

I'll post a pic next time I receive a SteelBook from them

10. Gemini-Phoenix

Gemini-Phoenix Hostis Humani Generis Staff Member Legendary Hunter

Blog Posts:
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    SteelBooks:
    FuturePaks:
    Other Metals:
    DigiBooks:
    Which everybody else ends up having to pay for... I've noticed that Zavvi's prices are now creeping up again, obviously to subsidise all these overseas shipping costs. I still don't understand how Zavvi can afford to ship a £17 SteelBook to the States or Australia - It usually costs me around £9.35 to send a SteelBook to the US tracked (although a £4.85 option is available for untracked, but who in their right mind sends untracked these days?)

11. PS3_Kiwi

Blog Posts:
    New Zealand New Zealand
    SteelBooks:
    FuturePaks:
    Other Metals:
    DigiBooks:
    You really do have a bee in your bonnet about overseas sales. By the way, Zavvi charge me the princely sum of £0.99 per order. So 4 Steels still cost less than a pound to ship :)

12. assassin

Blog Posts:
    SteelBooks:
    FuturePaks:
    Other Metals:
    I got everything sorted out with my damaged order. Zavvi took care of me just like they did in the past. I had a replacement order sent to me which arrived in pristine condition, so I couldn't be happier.

I also got my copy of Moana yesterday, and I can provide an update to what I was talking about above. When Moana arrived, it was inside of that new mailer you were talking about @PS3_Kiwi. White cardboard mailer with the wrap around that is essentially akin to their old one, but does seem a bit sturdier. Moana arrived in flawless condition, so I'm good to go.

The brown mailer I spoke of seems to be for orders containing two SteelBooks and is exactly what you said @Gemini-Phoenix. It's just like some of the Amazon ones that honestly aren't that great. I was lucky that my replacements weren't damaged, but the problem with the brown one is that the SteelBooks have room to slide around a bit, which can result in damage if someone steps on the parcel or tosses it around. In any case, I know that now and will consider doing separate orders in the future and paying a little extra for shipping to ensure they arrive in the single white mailer instead.

PS3_Kiwi likes this.
  13. PS3_Kiwi

Blog Posts:
    New Zealand New Zealand
    SteelBooks:
    FuturePaks:
    Other Metals:
    DigiBooks:
    In the past, when I have placed an order for more than one SteelBook from Zavvi. They have always been shipped individually. Maybe its a cost cutting exercise to send them together now.

assassin likes this.
  14. assassin

Blog Posts:
    SteelBooks:
    FuturePaks:
    Other Metals:
    Same here! All these years anytime I ordered more than one they would always arrive individually, rather than in a bigger box. This was the first that I received two in one, and I'll bet you are right that it has to be related to cost.